Main Street - Salt Lake
Salt Lake City has an interesting design with two primary roads running North Soutn through downtown.
State Street starts and the state capital and runs through the entire valley. State Street is the choice location for government offices, including the City County building, Federal Building, utilities and county offices.
Main Street is the traditional commercial and cultural center of Salt Lake City. When I first arrived in Salt Lake, the city had a bustling Main Street lined with shops. In the mid 1970s, city planners took a mis-step and placed two malls across the street from each other at the top of Main. This cleaned out many of the shops.
With the completion of Trax along Main Street, just prior to the 2002 Winter Games, Main Street has started the process of regaining its lustre. This gallery shows pictures from Salt Lake Main Street.
- State Street-Salt Lake City (272 pictures) State Street (US 89) runs one block to the East of Main Street.
- UTA Trax (165 pictures) The Trax Light Rail runs along Main Street into the heart of the city. Trax has three stops on Main.
- Salt Lake City (480 pictures) This gallery shows additional pictures of Salt Lake City.
- Gallivan Plaza (45 pictures) This gallery shows additional pictures of the Gallivan Plaza on Main Street.
- Temple Square (115 pictures) In 2000, the LDS Church purchased the section of Main Street to the East of Temple Square and turned it into the Main Street Plaza.
- South Temple (218 pictures) Main Street currently starts at South Temple. The section of Main adjacent to the LDS Temple was transformed into a pedestrian plaza in 2000.
- Little America (20 pictures) This gallery has additional pictures of the Little American and Grand American Hotels in Salt Lake City.
- City Creek Shopping Center (122 pictures) City Creek Center is a new (2012) Shopping District with a skywalk across Main Street in downtown Salt Lake.
- A Walk Through the Big City (135 pictures) Pictures from a walk through downtown Salt Lake.