City Creek Canyon
City Creek is a small stream that passes through downtown Salt Lake City. It is a short walk from the Main Street Trax station in downtown Salt Lake City, past the LDS Temple, through Memorial Grove into City Creek Canyon.
Due to its proximity near downtown, City Creek Canyon is among the popular hiking and biking destinations in the Wasatch. City Creek provides a pleasant break from a bustling downtown. A small paved road parallels a bubbling creek. The park alternates between bike days and car days throughout the week. So be sure you check in advance before planning your trip. There are also several interesting dirt trails on the sides of the canyon.
City Creek has several drinking fountains along the way. It is best to bring a water bottle, but you won't die if you forget it. City Creek is essentially a steady climb from Memorial Grove to the Elk's Park at the end of the road, making it a good challenge for bicyclers and runners. I've made it to the end on a bike but not on foot.
See Salt Lake Sites for Events in Memory Grove and City Creek Canyon.
- The Wasatch Mountains (131 pictures) City Creek Canyon leads in the central wasatch mountains. The upper reaches of the canyon cuts into some of the more remote areas of the Northern Wasatch.
- Memory Grove Park (88 pictures) This gallery shows additional pictures from Memory Grove Park at the mouth of City Creek Canyon.
- Utah State Capitol Building (181 pictures) The Utah State Capitol is on the West Side of the mouth of City Creek Canyon.
- Salt Lake City (484 pictures) City Creek is a primary water source for Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Salt Lake Parks (26 pictures) Pictures of other Parks in the Salt Lake Valley.
- City Creek Shopping Center (122 pictures) Pictures of the new City Creek Shopping District in downtown Salt Lake City.