The west side of Salt Lake City is an up and coming area. Just prior to the Olympics, the city diverted the railroad and there has been a great deal of work to renovate the area. The west side has a great deal in its favor. It is closer to the freeway, it is easily accessible by Trax. The new Gateway Plaza and Delta Center attract a great deal of foot traffic in the area.
Many new Salt Lake Clubs have located on the west side, including the Orbit Cafe and Club Brick. Eclectic shops and art galleries like the area as well.
The west side is so successful that Main Street is feeling the pinch. The great controversy for 2003 is the desire of Nordstroms to move out of the Crossroads Plaza on Main Street and into the Gateway area.
The second great controversy revolves around interest in moving Salt Lake's homeless shelters and volunteer service community. As the land gentrifies, the power politics has a tendency to push the less fortunate out.
- Salt Lake City (480 pictures) In Salt Lake City.
- Gateway Plaza - Salt Lake City (121 pictures) The Gateway Plaza is one of the major attractions on the west side of Salt Lake.
- Interstate 15 (88 pictures) The west side of Salt Lake has convenient freeway access.
- FrontRunner (47 pictures) This gallery shows pictures from the new FrontRunner Commuter Train.
- Jordan River Parkway (108 pictures) The Jordan River Parkway runs through the west side of Salt Lake.
- International Peace Gardens (35 pictures) The International Peace Gardens are at about 900 West 900 East (along the Jordan River Parkway in Salt Lake).
- Oquirrh Mountains (38 pictures) Magna is on the West Side of Salt Lake City.
- Magna, Utah (34 pictures) Magna Utah sits at the base of the Oquirrh Mountains, to the West of Salt Lake City.
- Salt Lake City - Southside (41 pictures) This gallery shows pictures from the South Side of Salt Lake City.
- Glendale Neighborhood (24 pictures) This gallery shows pictures from the Glendale neighborhood and the warehouse district to the west.