The route then works its way into the mountains of central Idaho. You pass the towns of Hailey and Ketchem (where the rich folk live), and of course, the famed Sun Valley Resort.
The upper Sun Valley canyon starts turning into a heavily used, but relatively pristine upper Sun Valley area. This is a favorite spot for Cross Country skiers and snow mobiles. Finally the road winds its way to the top of Galena Summit. This area boast several peaks in the 10+ feet.
At Galena Summit, you leave behind the Big Wood River, and fall into the domain of the Salmon River. Shortly after the summit, you get your first view of the Sawtooth Range.
The trek from Galena summit to Stanley is dominated by the majestic Sawtooth mountains. On 9/11/2001...I was camping in these mountains, blissfully ignorant of the world. The best time to photograph the Sawtooth is during the early morning, when the sun shines from the east. So you should plan at least one night in the valley.
From Stanley, s75 follows the Salmon River to Challis Idaho, where the road terminates at the junction with u93.
- Sawtooth Mountains (57 pictures) The road provides numerous opportunities to photograph the Sawtooth.
- Salmon River (137 pictures) Scenic Route 75 follows the Salmon River from Galena Summit to Challis.
- Stanley, Idaho (17 pictures) Stanley Idaho is at the north end of the Sawtooth Range.
- Clayton, Idaho (6 pictures) Clayton, Idaho is a small mining town on the river between Stanley and Challis.
- Challis, Idaho (17 pictures) S75 rejoins US-93 outside Challis.
- Highway 93 (207 pictures) U93 is the faster route between Challis and Twin Falls. It follows the Lost River, and gives you a view of Mt Borah.