There is an effort to rename Negro Bill Canyon off the Colorado River just north of Moab to Granstaff Canyon. I am all for this change because in our politically correct day, there are words that we are not allowed to utter.
Granstaff is a popular day hike near Moab, Utah. The Canyon is just east of Moab on scenic route 128 along the Colorado River. Trail leads past The Morning Glory Arch.
The canyon is named after a mixed race cowboy with the formal name William Granstaff who ran cattle in the area in the 1870s with another cowboy named "Frenchie."
I do not know if Mr. Granstaff felt insulted by his nickname. People today assume he does. Although I wince when the I hear the canyon's nickname, I find it a refreshing reminder that the United States was settled by a diverse range of people...even the Pearly white state of Utah owes it heritage to a mix of Spanish, Native American, Oriental and other odd mixes of colorful characters along with the LDS faithful (who tend to spend a great deal of effort trying to establish a monopoly on the state's history.
Granstaff Canyon is just South of Arhces National Park (across the Colorado River). The canyon carves its ways through the same sandstone formations that made Arches one of the premiere National Parks in the United States. The trail winds through the canyon and tops out in the famous Moab Slickrock. As I had an appointment, I only have photos from the bottom stretch of the canyon.
- Moab, Utah (138 pictures) This canyon is a few miles outside Moab, Utah and is a popular day hike.
- Colorado River (96 pictures) The Canyon drains into the Colorado River.
- Arches National Park (151 pictures) The Canyon is just south of Arches National Monument and would be a national monument itself it were in any other state than Utah.
- Devils Garden (60 pictures) The Devils Garden Trail is another really fun walk near Moab.
- Big Bend Campground (23 pictures) Big Bend Recreation Site (a campground) is a few miles up river from Big Bend.
- Sand Flats Recreation Area (81 pictures) The Sand Flats Recreation Area is on the rim south of Negro Bill Canyon.
- Castle Valley (53 pictures) The Negro Bill Canyon Wilderness Study Area is south of Castle Valley.
- Moab's Mill Creek Canyon (47 pictures) Mill Creek Canyon is a similar Canyon just southeast of Moab.
- Slickrock Trail (34 pictures) A set of pictures from the Slickrock Trail.