It is a sandstone structure. Considering the high earthquake danger of the valley, engineers renovated the structure in the 1980s, placing the entire structure on 440 base isolators. So, while the valley shakes in the next quake, the City County building will stand strong.
The large park surrounding the City County building is often used festivals and fairs.
Across State Street is the new Scott Matheson Courthouse, to the east is the new Library complex.
- Salt Lake City (482 pictures) This region in Salt Lake contains many of the government offices, the main library and courthouses for Salt Lake.
- UTA Trax (171 pictures) You can get to the City County building from either the Library stop on the University line, or the Courthouse stop on the main Sandy line.
- Utah State (55 pictures) Salt Lake City is both the largest city and capital of Utah.
- State Street-Salt Lake City (273 pictures) State Street passes between the City County building and the new Scott Mattheson courthouse.
- Salt Lake City Library (92 pictures) The City Library is one block east of the City County Building.