Old Mill Park is a small neighborhood park along Big Cottonwood Creek in the Cottonwood Heights area of Salt Lake County. The park features a cycling trail and small reservoir used for flood control.
The building suffered a catastrophic fire on April Fools Day in 1893 and has been owned by a variety of concerns since.
Deseret Paper Mill
The park is named for the old Deseret Paper Mill on Big Cottonwood Canyon Road adjacent to the park. The abandonned building is privately owned and off limits to trespassers.
This impressive granite structure was built with granite discarded during the construction of the Salt Lake Temple. The building was designed by Henry Grow and erected 1883-1884 to provide paper for the Deseret News which was seeking to be independent of paper companies out East.
Wet Dogs in Park
The park requires that dogs be on leash and there are multiple signs along at the reservoir saying no swimming. However, many dog owners take their dogs to the park for a swim simply because there is very little open fresh water in the Salt Lake Valley and precious few off leash areas.